Monday, May 15, 2006

My first patrol

Well, wasn't last night just a barrel of laughs. Or something like that. Ok, not really. In fact, when you get past the excitement of anticipation, it was pretty darned boring!

We patrolled for about an hour and a half, going from one system to the next, from one belt to another, from one planet to another. The anticipated built for the first half hour to an hour, but after that, it was just.... slow. We were going through low security systems, but there weren't any scumbags anywhere!

Was actually quite amazing to find no one around in so many lawless areas. Almost like going through a whole bunch of ghost towns, except they were ghost systems or something...

Not far into the patrol, Praetor - the squad leader - directed me to act as bait, jumping into systems first to see if anyone was there, and scanning for pirates. I was the new guy, so sure, it's only to be expected that I'd be the bait.

Luckily the onboard cleaning systems didn't have too much of a problem with cleaning up the pools of sweat that gathered on the floor below my chair. There was no enemy contacts, but still, it was the anticipation of danger and destruction that gets the adrenaline going! I know that life goes on with the clone, but being 'killed' has gotta hurt! I've not been killed yet, and I'm just not interested in finding out how painful the experience is...

Just before the patrol finished (at DT), we came upon three Angel Cartel ships, and we warped in and engaged them. It seemed they were too powerful for us though, as well as too fast! They moved away, with the squad following them, but it seemed that not a single one of our attacks were penetrating their shields.

With only 4 minutes to DT, I disengaged from the attack and docked at the closest station, just so that when I log back into the pod later on, I'm not surrounded by these Angel ships.

It was a great 'first patrol', and I'm looking forward to being involved in many more. I'm hoping I'll sweat less as i get more experienced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home